Snowflake Account Usage
The Accelerator for Snowflake Cost Monitoring enables Snowflake administrators to analyse the overall compute costs, performance monitoring, user adoption and error tracking of their Snowflake data stores. The Compute Cost Overview dashboard can be used to understand credit burn, plan budget allocation and identify peak outliers to reduce unnecessary spend. Use the User Adoption dashboard to track adoption of your new cloud platform and see where time is being allocated. The Performance Monitoring dashboard and Error tracking dashboard allow you to drill down on specific queries that may be taking longer or timing out.
Answer Key Business Questions
- What is the overall performance of our Snowflake infrastructure? Where is the highest consumption?
- Which warehouses are expending the highest cost?
- How does the compute expense of our database compare with our plan?
- Where are there performance issues with specific users or queries?
- What does user adoption look like? Who uses the database the most, and who is provisioned but doesn’t use it as much as we expected?
- Are there recurring errors to address and optimise?
- Based on current usage, what is the expected contract length?
Monitor and Improve KPIs
- Number of Queries
- Queries per User
- Cloud Server Utilisation Rate
- Time per Query
- Error Rate
- Minutes Wasted on Errors
- Number of Users
- Avg. spend this month, day, last month
- Avg. daily credit usage
- Avg. monthly storage cost
- Cloud Services Layer Utilisation Rate
- Avg. Query Performance
Snowflake + Tableau Partners who can help you succeed today
- Slalom's expertise with Tableau, Snowflake and Salesforce integrates platforms and delivers business value. Click here to learn more.
- InterWorks helps customers integrate Snowflake into your data ecosystems – connect with them directly to find out how they can help you launch cloud-based visual analytics.
- CoEnterprise provides Snowflake + Tableau Solutions include Snowtrail, which helps you ensure the right level of security for your Snowflake infrastructure; and Runaway, which integrates Slack into performance monitoring to help optimise your Snowflake investment.
Connect to Your Snowflake Data to Enable This Accelerator
- Create a new data source in this workbook
- Select “Snowflake” as the data source, and if you have not previously installed the driver, do so now. Once the driver is installed, proceed to the next step.
Create one new data source for each of these schemas: Database: SNOWFLAKE Schema: ACCOUNT_USAGE Table: QUERY_HISTORY Database: SNOWFLAKE Schema: ACCOUNT_USAGE Table: WAREHOUSE_METERING_HISTORY Database: SNOWFLAKE Schema: ACCOUNT_USAGE Table: STORAGE_USAGE
Please note: As of May 2019 these tables do not contain any cost information pertaining to Materialised Views, Automatic Clustering or Snowpipe. That information is contained in separate tables.
Once you have connected to all three tables, right-click on the respective sample tables and replace each with the appropriate table from your own Snowflake schema. For example, right-click on QUERY_HISTORY_SAMPLE and replace it with the QUERY_HISTORY table from your own database.
When your own data is populating the dashboards, right-click on each of the sample data sources individually, and close them.